The Vanier Scholarship program is one of Canada’s government fully-funded scholarships that focuses on attracting international doctoral students and retaining them in Canada.
The Vanier Scholarship program which was named after one of Canada’s great hero former Governor General Georges Vanier. To qualify for the program, students must exhibit a high standard of educational achievement, leadership skills, and commitment to add value to the school and Canada at large.
One of the objectives of this program is to bring international students who are most qualified in graduate studies to come and study in Canada and aid in the research and development of Canadian universities.
Candidates who eventually become winners of this award will be given $50,000 per year for the duration of three years. Each year, up to 170 students are accepted and awarded this prestigious scholarship.
The scholarship program is also expected to increase the number of students accepted each year, and there are over 500 active scholarships at this time.
How to Qualify
- Any student who is applying for a doctoral study is qualified.
- The competition for this award is stiff, and selection is made solely based on merits so only students with great academic performance are qualified for this scholarship.
- Students need to study Health Research, Natural Sciences, Engineering, Social Sciences, and Humanities.
- Applicants must not hold or have previously held any doctoral-level scholarships from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC.
- Be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D. – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding.
How to Apply
There are two-phase in the application process for the Vanier Scholarship. The first will require candidates to be nominated by a university in Canada.
The Nomination Phase
- Applicants must first obtain a nomination from one of the Universities eligible for the Vanier scholarship. Eligible Schools
- Choose from one of the schools listed and submit your application through ResearchNet to the desired graduate program by the internal deadline (Internal deadline varies, but most deadlines are in late September.)
- The University will then receive your application along with others and then make their nomination.
- If you are eventually nominated, then you will have to apply for the Vanier scholarship.
Applying for the Vanier Scholarship.
You will have to fill out another application through the ResearchNet, and this time for the Vanier scholarship.
You will submit the application along with other documents like your nomination result, and CV.
Nomination Process by the University- The deadline varies for different universities. Contact the department and university of your choice for a specific deadline.
Application for Vanier Scholarships- November 1st Get more information via the website
Note: please bear in mind that Gettoguide does not offer any scholarship, grant, or other forms of financial aid or assistance to students. we simply provide you information and opportunities to apply for available scholarships or grants to help you pay for your studies abroad.