Are you looking to immigrate to Australia? and you wonder how you are going to apply for Australian permanent residency? This article will guide you on the best path to follow in your pursuit of permanent residency.
Becoming a permanent resident in Australia comes with a lot of benefits. An Australian permanent resident enjoys equal rights as a citizen in Australia except for the right to run for a political position or voting.
Australia is a very beautiful country one of the easiest to obtain a permanent resident, with several pathways presenting different options for applicants. As a permanent resident in Australia, you are allowed to live, work, study, and move in and out of Australia as you please permanently.
You can bring your loved ones over to Australia once you become a permanent resident. But then, you have to qualify for sponsorship. As a permanent resident, you are permitted to enter, live, and work in New Zealand.
Permanent Residency Australia Permanent Residency Guide
Australia Permanent Resident point calculator
Like many countries such as Canada, Austria, New Zealand, etc. Australia immigration uses a Point-Based Immigration System to rank and accept immigrants.
Skilled immigrants who wish to enter Australia using the various Australian Visa types must be ranked in the pool.
How Does the Australian Point Based System Work?
- Candidates who have an active profile in the point-based system are added in the pool along with other applicants.
- Candidates are ranked according to achievements (Education, etc.), work experience, language proficiency, and other factors.
- The candidate with the most score will be sent an invitation to apply for a visa to Australia. The points-based system was designed to help bring skilled immigrants to Australia to improve the countries labor force.
- The first thing an interested candidate who wants to migrate is to submit an Expression of Interest. The expression of interest will tell Australia immigration officials of your desires and interest to immigrate to the country.
- If a candidate obtains the minimum requirements needed, then the person will be invited to apply for a visa and by extension a permanent resident status.
- To get a chance at becoming a permanent resident, candidates must obtain a minimum score of 70 points. It is going to be a lot easier for somebody who obtains a score of around 80 points because the current PR invitation time for candidates who obtained scores around 80 is between 1 to 2 months.
Like we stated earlier, there some factors that contribute to your score, and below is how the points are distributed.
18-24 years 25
25-32 years 30
33-39 years 25
40-44 years 15
S = Speaking, L= Listening, R = Reading, W = Writing
English Competent Proficient Superior
IELTS 6 7 8
PTE 50 65 79
OET C B A
Toefl L-12, R-13, W-21, L-24, R-24, W-27, L-28, R-29, W-30,
IBT s-18 S-23 S-26
CAE 169 185 200
Points 0 10 20
Employment Experience Outside Australia
Skilled Employment Experience Points
1-2 years 25
3-4 years 30
5-7 years 25
8-10 years 15
Employment Experience Within Australia
Skilled Employment Experience Points
1-2 years 5
3-4 years 10
5-7 years 15
8-10 years 20
- Degree Points
A Doctorate Degree from a reputable school within or outside Australia 20
A Bachelors or Master’s Degree from a reputable school within or outside Australia 15
A Diploma or Trade Certificate 10
- A maximum of 5 points is given to candidates who studied and graduated in Australia. Those who have siblings or spouses in Australia will also get 5 points.
- A job offer is not required in the point-based system, which means candidates can still get an invitation even without an employment offer from Australia
- Requirements to obtain Australia permanent residency
Candidates who wish to remain in Australia permanently will have to first submit an expression of interest. Then choose an appropriate visa for your permanent resident application (such as Subclass 189, Subclass 190, Subclass 186, etc.).
- You need at least a one-year Health insurance cover.
- Candidates must meet the minimum 70 points to be considered for an invite, which means you must obtain points from different factors such as age, educational qualification, and other factors.
- You must be admissible to enter Australia.
- Travel Documents for Australia Permanent Resident
- You should have no serious criminal offense or sickness that threatens the life of Australians.
- It is easier to apply for a permanent resident status with all your document available and ready. You must ensure that all the requested documents are valid and recent.
The documents that you must provide to apply for an Australian visa include:
- Passport Photo
- English Test Score
- Skill Assessment Report
- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate (If you are married)
- Medical Test Report
- Police Report
- Payment Receipt
Australian visa application
- To apply for an Australian permanent resident visa you will first have to get your documents ready first. The next thing on the checklist is selecting the right visa that suits you.
- There are different Australian visas you could choose from but the most frequently used ones are categorized under the Family Sponsorship Permanent Residency and the Work-Based Permanent Residency.
- You must ensure that you meet the requirements for the selected visa. Submit an Expression of Interest to SkillSelect online and with for your application to be processed.
- When your application has been processed and you meet all the requirements, you will be notified to apply for permanent residency. Attach all the requested documents along with your application form then submit to the Australian Immigration Office.
- Australian permanent residency cost
- It is way cheaper to travel to Australia, the application fee for one person can go as low as AUD$4100 depending on which visa you applied for. This cost is for one person. If you are traveling with someone, it would cost an additional AUD$2000 for someone above 18 years.
- The cost for traveling with someone who is below 18 years, say your child will cost an additional AUD$1000. So let say you are traveling with your wife, and a Kid, the total sum for the fees you’d have to pay is AUD$7100.