The Ontario Scholarship program is a merit-based award offered to domestic of international outstanding students. A student from Canada or any country in the world who has shown great academic excellence and achievement is qualified for this award.
This is a way of promoting and encouraging hard work and commitment to achieving great academic excellence. The program is funded by the government of Ontario along with the University of Toronto, awarded to students of all disciplines who are best in their various departments.
There are not many awards available, so the Ontario government gives out just a handful of these awards to Universities in Ontario stating precisely the number of students that should be given the award for each school.
Award and Duration
The award is scheduled for just one year and each graduating unit will have to determine the duration of the award.
Students who are eventual winners of the award will be entitled to $5,000 per session. So for each academic session, you receive the award.
Who is eligible?
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents, protected persons, and international graduate students who are currently studying or have just been accepted into the University of Toronto.
- Be registered as a fulltime student in an eligible program at the University.
- Have not exceeded the lifetime maximum of government-funded support or maximum OGS support available for their current level of study.
- Students must have obtained excellent or an A in the previously completed program.
- Master’s students will only receive the award for a maximum of two years and the Doctoral students will receive the award for a maximum of four years and that is maximum that students for the two-degree can receive in a lifetime.
The applicant will have to submit their Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) application to the Canadian university they intend to gain admission.
The candidates must submit an OGS application to their proposed graduate unit using the U of T School of Graduate Studies centralized online OGS application. See more details about OGS application
- OGS application form.
- Two academic references (referees will be required to submit online).
- Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions (unofficial and student-issued transcripts are permitted).
Student Deadline: Date set by the graduate unit
Application Dates : Fall / Winter / Summer
Graduate Unit Deadline: June 3, 2021 (not for students—unit must forward all OGS nominations to SGS by this date)
Level of Study: Doctoral, Master’s
Required Legal Status: Domestic / International