York Housing & Support Services
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us
Position Purpose Summary:
Virtual Housing worker will work with the Housing Retention Team in York and Durham Region to procure housing through virtual landlord engagement, subsequently connecting chronically homeless individuals and families with prescreened housing choices and landlords that enable housing stability.
- Complete online training module on the first day of the job as well as weekly online training
- Research, compile and maintain housing options, document acceptance criteria and procedures
- In consultation from a housing retention team member, liaise with, and make regular, ongoing contact with Landlords concerning possible vacancies
- Provide statistical reports of number of apartment searches, placements,
- Create Housing Map of Pro Housing First Landlords in York and Durham Region
- In consultation from a housing retention team member, draft Service Agreements with Landlords
- Participate in the facilitation of housing assessment specific to the client to provide the most appropriate support/housing options
- Participate with supervisor to assist clients with obtaining and maintaining suitable housing & provide advocacy as needed
- Assist the housing retention team to acquire household furnishings when moving into the community and secure Start-up Funds as available or required
- Participate in the planning of time limited housing based Critical Time Intervention (CTI) case management
- Source supports and services that assist clients in meeting their financial obligations in regard to rent, bill payments (budgeting purposes) and create a resource list/document
- Perform any other related duties as requested
- Prepare and update housing and landlord opportunity tracking sheets and share them with housing retention team via team mentor
- Prepare supports and services tracking sheets and share them with housing retention team via team mentor
- Ensure that the privacy and confidentiality of participants is maintained within established standards, Policy and Procedure
- Work as a member of the team to ensure that the program operates efficiently and effectively
- Participate in external committees & forums with supervisor
- Participate in weekly virtual team meetings and weekly check-ins with your supervisor
- The successful candidate must meet the requirements under the Canada Summer Jobs Program
- Between 15 – 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment
- Students in University or College program in Social Sciences field preferred
- Knowledge of people experiencing chronic homelessness an asset
- Knowledge and understanding of Mental Health/Addictions
- Knowledge and understanding of and a commitment to anti-racism, anti-oppression and equity
- Strong problem solving skills
- Able to provide a high degree of confidentiality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills with MS office (Processing/Desktop, Publishing, Spreadsheet/Graphing, Database computer skills essential)
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Must have good time management skills
- Good knowledge of community resources
- Knowledge of the Tenant Protection Act
- Having capability to access zoom, skype etc., and/or the willingness to acquire technology and skill set
Note: An alternative level of education and experience may be acceptable
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear vulnerable sector screening
- A clean drivers abstract
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
HOURS: 35 hours per week. 7 hour shifts – 9:00am to 5:00pm (5 days per week)
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
To apply for this job please visit www.localwork.ca.