Commonwealth scholarship for masters and Ph.D. students is one of the biggest scholarships in the world today. The commonwealth scholarship scheme offers financial aid to more than 800 international students from developing countries every year.
The Commonwealth scholarship is a fully funded government program for international students from the developing Commonwealth nations. Winners of the scholarship will be entitled to several benefits which include monthly stipends, free tuition, accommodation, clothing allowance, etc.
Since its inception in 1959, the program has thrived to greater heights, and have awarded more than 35,000 international students scholarships to study in the U.K.
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) in the UK awards scholarship to students based on merits and the potentials or skills they possess.
The program is fully sponsored by the Department for International Development (DFID) (for developing Commonwealth countries) and the Department for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy.
Eligibility for the Commonwealth Scholarship
- Candidates must check if your country of origin or citizenship is among the Commonwealth countries.
- Applicants must be a graduate of a credible University or College of education, and at least a second class upper degree or its equivalence.
- You must not have a sponsor or be able to take care of your studies in the U.K. on your own.
- All applicants must be ready to study in the U.K. and live there on a full-time basis by the beginning of the U.K. academic year in September/October.
- You must not have started your Ph.D. or Master’s program or register in any school for a Ph.D. or Master’s program.
- Candidates must obtain the support of at least one supervisor in any University in the U.K. mentioned in your application.
- Ready all the necessary documents, all certified true copy arranged in the right format.
Each candidate applying for the Commonwealth Scholarship are selected based:
- Academic performance
- The quality of your proposal.
- Applicants who show proposals with strong relevance to develop their home countries.
- Candidates must be nominated by a selecting body from their various home countries. Each selecting body have their own selection criteria, you just have to find out yours and adhere to them.
- Selected candidates will receive monthly stipends.
- Fully funded tuition and examination fees,
- Airfare to the U.K. and warm clothing, transport allowance, and fieldwork grants.
- Family allowances for scholars accompanied by their spouse, the spouse allowance is usually 233 Euro per month for nine months. If you have children there is also a child allowance, for children above 16, they receive 233 Euro every month and those below 16 years receive 114 Euro monthly.
Note that the family allowance is only granted to your family if your spouse and children are living with you at the same address in the U.K.
How to Apply
The first step is to be nominated by a nominating body in your home country or otherwise. You cannot submit your application to CSC directly, you may be nominated by:
- National Nominating Agencies
- Selected Universities in the U.K.
- Selected non-governmental organizations and charitable bodies.
The nominating bodies will make their own selection based on their own requirements, closing dates, and rules.
You are required to submit your application to the CSC’s online application system which will be provided for you below together with all the applications that you are required to fill by your nominating body.
Attach to your application all the requested documents either by your Nominating body or the CSC’s body.
Note that the CSC will not accept supporting documentation submitted by nominating agencies or outside the online application system.
You can apply and get more details for the application via
For Ph.D. Scholars: – Apply As Ph.D. Scholar
For Master’s student: – Apply For Masters
Note: please bear in mind that Gettoguide does not offer any scholarship, grant, or other forms of financial aid or assistance to students. we simply provide you information and opportunities to apply for available scholarships or grants to help you pay for your studies abroad.
I have done MBA degree in finance equivalent 18years of education now i want to get scholarship for PhD study abroad, i have fresh and recently done MBA degree, and know i have no Ielts certificate, but i have English proficiency certificate, and i have no any acceptance letter from any supervisor of foreign universities, but I have too much interest in abroad study for PhD, l like those countries like, USA, Canada, Australia, Germany and UK
No any comments
Thank you so much! Please help me to get fully scholarship. And I have ambition of supporting my country RWANDA. thank you again and have nice job.
I’m from Liberia I need a help to get back to school